John Ogdon Forum Index
  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Ogdon's playing has always had a special affect on me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    John Ogdon Forum Index -> 2007: John Ogdon's 70th Anniversary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DenisB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Ogdon's playing has always had a special affect on me Reply with quote

Hello

I seriously love classical music especially for piano. I do not understand why but John Ogdon's playing has always had a special affect on me (I suspect I am one of very many), his playing gets deeply into me & even at 57 can bring tears to my eyes, it happened listening to the Brahms the other evening.

Many years ago he walked towards the piano at the Festival Hall & fell very heavily, immediately he got to his feet, sat at the piano and perhaps played even better than if nothing had happened. I have tears now, I can still feel the atmosphere, it was unique.

His playing gave so much, he seemed to have no bounds and died far too young with so much more music waiting for him to discover.

There are many good pianists today, a very few great ones, Argerich, Ashkenasy, Pollini for example but there was something unique, something so very special about the playing of John Ogdon and were he alive at 70 I would be praying for another 20 years or so, Earl Wild is still performing!!!
I don't want an answer to this, I just wanted to open up a little & could not think of a better contact.

Many many thanks
Lou Lou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: A special effect Reply with quote

Dear Denisb,

Second time of trying just deleted my last attempt.

I just heard something of the celebration of John on Pick of the week on Radio 4 on my drive back to London tonight (Sunday) having missed the radio 3 celebration last week. Hope to try and pick it up on Listen Again or something.

I was involved in a scratch orchestra with John in the early 70's where the focus was on experimental music involving people like Cornelius Cardew. As a teenager maybe I was desperately unaware of the significance of John's mental health problems but later in my life I felt my understanding was significantly influenced by John's involvement with the Scratch in the sense of being able to see the benign rather than the problem.

It's interesting that the St John Smith Suare conerts by the Scratch, the Beethoven Memorial Concert at Queen Elizabeth Hall, mad concerts at Euston or the recording of the Sobranie Smoking Mixture Concert for the BBC at Maida Vale seem unremembered in Johns Chronography.

Perhaps we were all thought to be unwell to even be involved in such a venture.

I think my Sociology Teacher Mrs Phillips was the person who got me involved. Interseting I don't remember her fisrt name ( at school in the 60's when you called everyone by thier first name, but I remember her husband was Tom Phillips still a well known local artist).

I have been a Consultant Psychotherapist in the NHS since 1998 not very many occasions call upon me to acknowledge my knowledge or experience of John Ogdon but I know it was a seminal inluence and despite what I find myself doing thesedays, Music is still my reason for going on.
Metronome
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Lou Lou, and I'm sorry if you had trouble driving this Furum. I am Metronome, webmaster of johnogdon.org.uk, and I keep things ticking on the Web front. I do not have much clout on the Foundation front but I can relay messages. This Forum only came live last week, so keep 'em coming...

Now, for my part I have only just clued up on Scratch Orchestra, with the inestimable help of Wikipedia, and what an interesting project that must have been. In all my research for this web site I came across not a single mention of Ogdon's involvement with the Scratch. So it would be brilliant if you could expand on his Smith Square, QEH, Euston and Maida Vale scratchings for the wider benefit of mankind. The Sobranie Smoking Mixture Concert for the BBC sounds absolutely enthralling - MORE PLEASE!

Regarding the Performance on 3 Ogdon series last week, if you don't manage to Listen Again I have MP3 copies of all three programmes, 110MB each though. Not sure about the legalities of this - best e-mail me.

Scratch away ...
Lou Lou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Metronome,

so nice to see such a prmpt reply. I'm rather afraid that my memories of 30 - 40 years ago might be very faulty.

I myself am now 52 but the excitement of growing up in London in the 50's and 60's makes me sad for all the pressures young people seem prone to these days.

I loved my time with the Scatch but they were. at the time the only scatch orchestra around at the time but the emphasis on experimental music really wired into my own interests.

It seemed to me that half the scatch were competent musicians and the other half were ewnthusiastic amateurs , I guess I really fell into the enthusiat category.

I was a little flautist with a facility for anything Woodwind

I.d love to find out if the Sobranie Smoking Mixture Concert still survives as a BBC recording

is there any way to find out ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    John Ogdon Forum Index -> 2007: John Ogdon's 70th Anniversary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: