John Ogdon Forum Index
  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups RegisterRegister ProfileProfile  Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 

Performance on 3, January 2007

Post new topic   Reply to topic    John Ogdon Forum Index -> 2007: John Ogdon's 70th Anniversary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metronome
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Performance on 3, January 2007 Reply with quote

"... you have to say that Ogdon was not actually put on this earth to compose ..." [i]Stephen Plaistow[/i] (Tuesday 30th Jan 2007) - [b]discuss[/b]
Elie FM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With regard to the comment about Ogdon not being put on this earth to compose, i am afraid that I was not able to hear Tuesday's program as I was teaching and I forgot to record it; I am therefore considering the comment out of its full context. I suppose it depends on one's feelings about life and our place on the earth. For my part, I like John Ogdon's music, but I do not consider John Ogdon to be a great composer, but that is not the point: what matters to me is the experience that he himself had when composing and playing his compositions. I too compose and I consider my music to be good music worth playing, but it is more the importance of it to me that I care about, rather than how much it means to others. i think that sometimes too much emphasis is put on the joy that we give to others through our art - of course that is very important, but I think that the joy our art gives us is of equal importance. I remember discussing one of my compositions with Ogdon - he was very interested and encouraging - my main memory is his saying about one of my pieces; "I imagine it is quite difficult to play" - not a comment that one would associate with him. My main impression was that he loved to compose and that is all that matters I think. And because of the enjoyment he got from the process of composing, he was clearly meant to be doing it. It was all part of him being a whole musician, a whole person. Luckily at the time I knew him I was able to obtain copies of a few of his piano compositions - they are difficult to get now.

The one disappointment I have with the radio 3 programs is that they chose to play recordings from his early years and nothing (at least on Monday and Wednesday) of his late work. I think this is a shame and I am wondering who made that choice and why - it is true that his late playing was sometimes hugely affected by his drugs and everything he had been through, but isn't that important in itself and exciting too? if it is accuracy and non-stop brilliance that people want, then of course his early playing will deliver that, but is this what music is really about, and is it what Ogdon was really about? I love some of his late playing because of its humanity, its weirdness and unpredictable nature. After all, life is often weird and unpredictable as Ogdon experienced during his lifetime, and if music is an expression of being alive, then don't we have to listen to it as such? When I went to his late concerts and when I listen to his late recordings, I am in the company of a human being who really knows what it is like to be alive. That is what is really exciting because it validates my own experiences of life.

The other thing that would have been nice is to hear more of Ogdon speaking - they played a little extract of his talking and it brought back so may memories for me. I would have liked to hear a bit more of his voice.
Metronome
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[i][I should point out (as moderator) that Elie FM, a professional musician and music therapist, has a passion for film music composition, has written scores for short films in Germany and gives occasional talks][/i]

There are more comments on John Ogdon and the Performance on 3 series at [url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbradio3/F2620064[/url] on the BBC Radio 3 Message board - just search for Ogdon.
Elie FM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was strange how a few of the comments from people on those Radio 3 programs brought back memories - musical and non-musical. The comment about John Ogdon's hand feeling like a dead fish when you shook hands with him, was something I had forgotton about. And yet, that was the thing that really surprised me on meeting him for the first time. The one musical thing that made a deep impression on me was his advice about reading through a piece of music for about 20 minutes before playing it for the first time. That has stuck with me ever since, though I am afraid that the results of my 20 minute study do not bear the same standard of fruit as Ogdon's! - I still have to learn the music. On the subject of him not talking fluently about things, I had different experiences - during the times I spent with him he was always very clear and enthusiastic in conversation, presumably because he was talking about the thing he loved the most - music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    John Ogdon Forum Index -> 2007: John Ogdon's 70th Anniversary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: